Hard to Love

Sometimes it is hard to love the ones closest to us. I know that doesn’t sound very Christian-ly of me, but I am being real here. What’s the point of typing these words out if my truest heart isn’t reflected in the product?

My kids are hard to love sometimes. I DO love them. It’s just hard at times.

My seven-year-old refuses to do her math work, but wants to stand on top of the coffee table dancing to a song she made up about me called, “The Grinch”.

I need more coffee.

I need to be in the Word.

I need to remember the softness of her sweet little infant self, so I can conjure up the feelings of love in these moments they escape me.

Love isn’t about how we feel. It’s about how we interact. Click To Tweet

The things we do, not the words we say or the feelings we feel.

Watching my tiny little rebellious child makes me wonder if that’s how the Lord sees me.

He loves me.

He’s watched me grow and change over the years.

God sees my imperfections and rebellions, yet still chooses to love me. Click To Tweet

Love is going into the hard places when it’s easier to turn and run as far away as possible.

Loving a screaming child who desperately wants what she wants, and she wants it RIGHT NOW. When hurtful words are hurled in our direction. When everything in the world tells us to high tail it out of there, but we stay because it is right.

The only two commandments Jesus gives us in the New Testament are to love the Lord our God with all our heart and with all our soul, and with all our mind AND to love our neighbor as ourselves (Matthew 22:37-39).

Love.

Not judgment, hate, irritation, anger, frustration, pity, or any of the other emotions we may feel daily.

Love.

If I lash out in anger at my kids (which, let’s be honest here, I have done and will probably do again…possibly today), I am not showing Christ’s love to them, am I?

Thank the Lord for forgiveness and grace, but that’s another post for another day.

God calls me to love others.

I choose to start with this rebellious little girl.

Photo by Tim Mossholder on Unsplash

• Kristi McAllister March 21, 2018 at 10:31 pm Reply

You so nailed it. We are all hard to love at some point, and I love how you made that okay because most people are horrified by the mere thought of it even though they experience the same thing but probably don’t tell anybody! Thanks for keeping it real!

• AlyndaLong March 22, 2018 at 1:38 am Reply

Thanks so much, Kristi! I appreciate your commenting:) We as moms need to realize we aren’t alone in these things:)

• Evelyn, PathofPresence March 21, 2018 at 11:13 pm Reply

Your points are so beautiful and poetic. I feel your emotion coursing through and through! My personal practice is to remember what my Mom taught me: “You can’t give what you don’t have.” In learning to love myself, I can better love my children. And I find that loving oneself is DEFINITELY a deeper practice (it is harder than simply loving my kids =). Having faced this, loving my children…is a privilege. Many blessings to you <2 xo Evelyn, PathofPresence.com

• AlyndaLong March 22, 2018 at 1:40 am Reply

Thanks so much, Evelyn! I love your mom’s advice! I love your “loving my children is a privilege”. So good!

• Lis March 21, 2018 at 11:24 pm Reply

Ahh this post is relevant in so many ways!! And thank you for your honesty, it’s so refreshing. It’s so easy to act like as Christians we are all light and rainbows but sometimes people we love can get on our darn nerves, buttons get pushed, and it does lead to anger. That’s why I’m so thankful to God, because when I slip, when I’m mad and don’t want to talk to anyone, when I shout at someone instead of keeping calm; he still forgives and loves me. Bless you hun 💖

• AlyndaLong March 22, 2018 at 1:41 am Reply

Thanks so much, Lis! YES! I am so thankful for His constant forgiveness and grace! Blessings to you!

• Davilyn March 22, 2018 at 12:35 am Reply

Love this. So very true. Faith, hope and love but the greatest of these is love. ❤️

• AlyndaLong March 22, 2018 at 1:42 am Reply

Davilyn, SO TRUE! Thank you so much for reading and commenting:)

• LeeAnah March 22, 2018 at 5:15 am Reply

This is so real. I often look at my kids and see myself and my relationship with God mirrored in their relationship with me. It’s crazy but it really helps me to be compassionate, quick to forgive, and empathetic.

• AlyndaLong March 22, 2018 at 12:13 pm Reply

Hi LeeAnah! Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I don’t think it’s crazy at all. I think the relationship between parents and children is the closest we have to compare how God sees us as His children. When I realize how well He loves me, it blows me away. I am so imperfect and selfish in my own love, yet He loves each of us PERFECTLY! So amazing!

• Kiala March 28, 2018 at 4:54 pm Reply

This hit so true to home. You got it right. My son is only 15 months and still finds a way to have his moments but I wouldn’t trade him or the imperfections for the world!

• AlyndaLong March 28, 2018 at 6:19 pm Reply

Thanks for the comment, Kiala! I think’s so important for us to acknowledge the challenges of . parenthood, but still rejoicing in the gifts we’ve been given. Blessings to you!

• Anna March 28, 2018 at 7:35 pm Reply

Loving our beloved is so obvious to us that we often forget to tell them that. It is true that children put our patience to the test, but even when I shout at them, I always tell them that I love them. I’m mad at them, but I still love them.

• AlyndaLong March 28, 2018 at 7:38 pm Reply

That’s such a good reminder, Anna! When I “lose” it with my kids, I always ask forgiveness and explain why my behavior wasn’t okay. I want to model humility with them when they are young.

• poorna banerjee March 28, 2018 at 8:56 pm Reply

your words made my day! At times I forget I’m a human being with needs and the affirmation came at the right time.

• AlyndaLong March 28, 2018 at 11:38 pm Reply

Thank you so much, Poorna! I’m glad they were helpful for you today! Blessings to you and yours!

• Kasey March 29, 2018 at 12:41 am Reply

This is one of the most beautiful blog posts I’ve ever read! Truly heartfelt. Thank you for the encouragement!

• AlyndaLong March 29, 2018 at 1:03 am Reply

Thank you so much, Kasey! Blessings to you!

• EscapeWriters April 1, 2018 at 3:37 pm Reply

How true you are!!! Sometimes its hard to love your kids, it sounds so weird but every mom in this world face it. But we all know love for our kids is endless so we forgive and love more.