Biblical Words of Affirmation for Your Child

biblical, words of affirmation, children, motherhood

Twenty Biblical Ways to Verbally Affirm Your Child

We each have a primary love language, but also can express love through some (or all) of the other languages too.

I’m so excited to share ways to biblically love your child well when his or her primary love language is Words of Affirmation.

We often EXPRESS our love the way we want to RECEIVE  love.

If my primary love language is Physical Touch, but my daughter’s is Words of Affirmation, she may not FEEL as loved by me if I am not speaking her primary language.

As parents, we want our kids to feel loved and cherished! As believers, we also want everything we say to point our children to Christ!

What exactly are Words of Affirmation?

I’m so glad you asked!

words of affirmation

Words of Affirmation are life giving to the child who receives love in this way. Click To Tweet

He or she flourishes under kind words. A well placed phrase of verbal affirmation will deeply and positively affect a  Words of Affirmation child.

Likewise, harsh or critical words may deeply wound this child. All the loving actions in the world cannot compete with an unsolicited compliment or verbal acknowledgement!

Here are twenty of my favorite!

1. Jesus loves you!
  2. You are more precious than rubies.
  3. I’m thankful to be your mom (or dad, grandmother, etc.)
  4. Spending time with you brings me joy.
  5. I can tell you really worked hard on _____.

biblical, words of affirmation, love language, children, motherhood

Words of Affirmation

6. Your kindness is beautiful.
  7. Thank you for doing ________.
  8. You are a blessing to our family.
  9. I love how you honored God when you ______.
  10. You are worthy of _____ (love, affection, time, etc.).
  11. God has a great plan for your life.
  12. You are a treasure.
  13. The Lord has not given you a spirit of fear.
  14. You are a gift from God.
  15. Your heart for _____ is lovely to see.
  16. You are capable.
  17. You are a blessing to your friends.
  18. I see Christ in you.
  19. Thank you for being _____.
  20. God only created one of you. You are that special!

I tested these on my eight-year-old daughter, Kaylee, whose primary language is Words of Affirmation and received LOTS of hugs in return! (Physical Touch is one of my primary languages and she knows this fact. So sweet, right?)

I have three daughters and they each have a different language!

How do your kiddos best receive love?

Feel free to hop over to these other blogs to learn more about Physical Touch, Quality Time, Gifts, and Acts of Service!

Photo by London Scout on Unsplash

A group of parenting bloggers have joined together to bring you this Mother’s Day 5 Day Challenge!

How to Join!

1. Go to our Facebook page post and write–Count me in the #MothersDay5DayChallenge
  2. Go to your local library and get The 5 Love Languages of Children book or buy it HERE!
  3. Download the FREE Love Languages Assessment and go over it with your child together if they are young or have them do it on their own if they are old enough.

Then just follow along for the next 5 Days! Each day I will share a video on our Facebook page and discuss one love language. Also, for each day one of our bloggers will share some fabulous practical ideas so you can start using your child’s primary love language.

I will update this schedule each day as the posts go live.

• Kim Bolwell April 17, 2018 at 12:24 pm Reply

Affirmations are so important for positive development in children! Fab post!

• AlyndaLong April 17, 2018 at 1:33 pm Reply

Thanks so much, Kim!

• Angela April 17, 2018 at 1:54 pm Reply

My sons are older and I still love to encourage them with words of comfort and other gestures. Our favorite verse to “shout out” to each other is Jeremiah 29:11. This is a awesome article. Thx

• AlyndaLong April 17, 2018 at 2:00 pm Reply

I love that verse, Angela! He has a hope and a plan! So good! Blessings to you and your family!

• Nina April 17, 2018 at 1:54 pm Reply

I love the idea of saying biblical affirmations to my child. 😃 It is very important and helpful for kids to feel loved as they grow. Me and my little one share hugs a lot.thank you for sharing.

• AlyndaLong April 17, 2018 at 2:01 pm Reply

Hi Nina! Hugs are super important! One of my daughters doesn’t particularly liked to be touched very much, so I try to speak her “language” more when I really want her to feel loved! Blessings to you!

• Esther Hosea April 17, 2018 at 2:50 pm Reply

What a great idea for a blogging series!
    Words of Affirmation is my primary language, and I love your list! I could probably write a whole post here on why your list is so perfect, but I will try to be succinct in just saying that there is so much wisdom in the way you chose to word so many of those affirmations!
    What a valuable resource!

• AlyndaLong April 17, 2018 at 2:56 pm Reply

Thank you so much, Esther! I really appreciate your affirmation! (It’s one of my highest languages too…tied with physical touch). I wanted to continually point my daughters to Christ and how their identity should come from Him versus me or anyone else!

• Alice Mills April 17, 2018 at 3:10 pm Reply

I love your words of affirmation! They are not performance based, though it is ok to recognized a job well done. They get right to the heart of a person’s worth.

• AlyndaLong April 17, 2018 at 3:17 pm Reply

Alice! I absolutely agree that it’s fine to recognize a job well done! Two of my kids are SO performance based that I try to encourage them in other ways too! Blessings to you!

• Dona April 17, 2018 at 4:01 pm Reply

I’ve been praing for scriptures to pray over my adult son. Thank you!

• AlyndaLong April 17, 2018 at 6:26 pm Reply

thanks so much, Dona!

• Juli April 17, 2018 at 5:37 pm Reply

I love this especially how you gave the starter examples.

• AlyndaLong April 17, 2018 at 6:26 pm Reply

Thanks, Juli!

• Kristi McAllister April 17, 2018 at 5:43 pm Reply

I don’t have children, but I’m all about affirmations and I love how well you spell it out for them in a way they can understand. Kids need more positive in their lives. Kudos!

• AlyndaLong April 17, 2018 at 6:27 pm Reply

Kristi, thanks so much for the response. This works for EVERYONE in our lives and can easily be adjusted to all ages:) Blessings!

• Missy Linkletter April 17, 2018 at 5:54 pm Reply

I love this! Sometimes, it is easy to forget that a kind and encouraging word goes a very long way in the hearts of our children! <3

• AlyndaLong April 17, 2018 at 6:27 pm Reply

So true, Missy! Especially to kids who are sensitive to words!

• Kyla Matton Osborne | 24 Carrot Diet April 17, 2018 at 5:57 pm Reply

Parents so often speak commands or give correction to kids. It’s so important for them to hear positive words too! I believe affirmations are a blessing for all of us.

• AlyndaLong April 17, 2018 at 6:28 pm Reply

I absolutely agree with you Kyla!

• Donna Miller April 17, 2018 at 10:34 pm Reply

I love this so much! Words of affirmation does so much to build our kids up! Thank you for this lovely post! Not just full of life and encouragement but filled with practical help as well! ❤

• Marni April 18, 2018 at 1:27 am Reply

My favorite one was “Your kindness is beautiful.” Too often we link beauty to physical features. This is a great way to turn it inwards!

• AlyndaLong April 18, 2018 at 1:47 am Reply

Thank you so much, Marni!

• Colleen April 18, 2018 at 4:07 am Reply

It is so important to let kids know how appreciated they are. One of the tricky parts, I think, is communicating genuine gratitude or appreciation to our kids. So many parents hold praise back in an attempt to engineer a particular result.

Thanks for the post. Very thought provoking.

• AlyndaLong April 18, 2018 at 2:08 pm Reply

Colleen, that is so insightful! I agree with you! I am trying to be more intentional with my kids in this area!

• Angela Hoyos April 18, 2018 at 1:59 pm Reply

I love this! Kids need to hear words of affirmation to feel loved, safe and valuable. Thank you for your list <3

• Yolanda Botello April 18, 2018 at 5:28 pm Reply

I love it! I don’t have kids but since I read “the five love languages” book, I enjoy applying each persons love language into action and how it really does work. It makes so much sense! And God uses it all throughout scripture. The more I learn about God, the more I see His personality and He teaches us how to speak love to people. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

• Tiffany April 19, 2018 at 12:27 am Reply

Good read! Love the list. I am not a mom and can’t wait to say this to my future kids. Thanks for sharing ♥️ ♥️ By any chance you are interested on doing collaborations, you can check out the collaborations portal of Phlanx.com and connect with amazing brands!

Xoxo,
    Tiffany

• AlyndaLong April 19, 2018 at 3:31 am Reply

Thanks so much, Tiffany! Blessings to you!