Listening to the Holy Spirit’s Gentle Nudges

Listening to the Gentle Nudges of the Holy Spirt, Holy Spirit, Hands and Feet, Alynda Long, alyndalong.com

Be Courageous

2 Timothy, Be courageous, holy spirit, gentle nudges, Alynda Long, alyndalong.com

This year, the Lord gave me the word courageous as my word. In His usual way, He’s already given me several areas to stretch myself and trust in Him.

One way I sense His nudges more is through praying for others.

You may assume, “All followers of Christ pray for others, Alynda! What’s so special?”

Well, nothing is special at all! He’s calling me to pray for and WITH complete strangers in public places.

I love me some Jesus and I want to share His story of redemption in my life. But can’t I do it from my phone? Click To Tweet

I love me some Jesus and I want to share His story of redemption in my life.

But can’t I do it from my phone?

Over coffee with a friend?

Through a Facebook post?

Sure, I SHOULD do those things.

But He wants me to find my courage in HIM. He wants me to approach His children who are hurting and offer them a prayer wherever I may meet them.

Gentle Nudges, Holy Spirt, Alynda Long, alyndalong.com

But He wants me to find my courage in HIM. He wants me to approach His children who are hurting and offer them a prayer wherever I may meet them. Click To Tweet

The Holy Spirit’s Gentle Nudges

One such person was the bagger at my local Kroger (shout out for #clicklist and all you organized people with enough sense to plan a shopping list and use that feature).

I was standing in line at the grocery store. Just chatting with the cashier and the bagger like my ridiculously extroverted self.

The cashier responded to my incessant babbling, but the bagger avoided eye contact with me.

“How are you doing, today, sir?” I tried to engage him in conversation.

He was having none of it.

A gentle nudge in my chest from the Holy Spirt, “Ask him if you can pray for him, Alynda.”

Sorry, Holy Spirit, I don’t think he wants to talk.

He finishes bagging my groceries, I say thanks and walk away.

“ASK him, ALYNDA!”

I don’t want to, Lord. Are you sure?

I feel a bigger nudge… more like a push.

Why did my word have to be courageous this year?

Obeying the Gentle Nudges of the Holy Spirit

FINE, I will ask him. He’ll say NO or think I have two heads!

Awkwardly (as are many of the things I do… I’m good like that), I push my cart back to Mr. Bagger Man.

“Um, sir, Mr. (reading his name tag) James. God is telling me to ask you if I can pray for you.” (I am prepared for him to cry out in fear of this crazy woman with the curly red hair and talking about God). “Is that okay with you?”

I think I see a slight nod, so I rush forward. “How may I pray for you, sir?”

He looks at me. REALLY LOOKS at me and says, “I am on dialysis and the kidney transplant list, and I just lost hearing in my left ear. I could use some of those prayers.”

Now I’m almost in tears. I ask if I can hold his hand and he agrees. I pray for him right there in the checkout lane of Kroger. I assume people were staring at us, but I didn’t notice them. He thanked me and squeezed my hand before letting go.

Mr. James from Kroger is on my prayer reminder list every day at 7pm.

We really never know what will happen if we listen to that gentle nudge of the Holy Spirit.

Will you also join me in praying for Mr. James?

How has He nudged you lately, my friend? Please share your experience in the comment section below. I’d love to hear from you, my friend!

Originally Published on March 16, 2018

About Alynda

How Are We Building God’s Temple Today?

• Anne Mackie Morelli March 21, 2018 at 1:24 pm Reply

Alynda, thanks for sharing your story. Good for you to listen to God’s nudge and pray for James. What a powerful experience for him, and for all those that witnessed you praying for him. Your story gives me confidence to reach out to others in the same way and to be bolder in praying with others.

• AlyndaLong March 21, 2018 at 1:54 pm Reply

Thank you so much, Anne! It is uncomfortable to stretch outside my comfort zone, but exciting to see where the Lord may lead! Praying for your boldness. Blessings to you!

• Cindy April 10, 2018 at 2:27 am Reply

What a blessing being able to read your story and recognize that it can be uncomfortable following Christ, yet so rewarding.

• AlyndaLong April 10, 2018 at 5:59 pm Reply

Thank you so much Cindy! It is exceptionally rewarding following His path!

• Jaclyn Musselman April 10, 2018 at 5:46 pm Reply

This is beautiful and your story is an encouragement!

• AlyndaLong April 10, 2018 at 5:59 pm Reply

Thank you, Jaclyn! Blessings to you!

• http://www.linux.co.uk April 12, 2018 at 5:09 pm Reply

I ᴡager he is PERFECT at іt!? Laughed Larry.

• AlyndaLong April 12, 2018 at 6:14 pm Reply

YES! Blessings!

• Yvonne Morgan August 5, 2018 at 8:33 pm Reply

Those nudges can be scary but the rewards for following through is truly amazing to see God at work. I pray we all find the strength to follow such promptings. Thanks for sharing

• AlyndaLong August 5, 2018 at 8:42 pm Reply

Yvonne,

Thanks so much for reading and commenting! Yes, they are so scary at first. I’m finding them less scary as I become more obedient. I know the Lord wants to use me for His kingdom and that is such a great honor, isn’t it? Blessings to you!

• Lori Altebaumer August 5, 2018 at 8:38 pm Reply

I love your story and the example you set. How many times have I argued with the Lord saying “I’m not the one, I’m not ready, equipped, qualified?” And how many times have a regretted ignoring the push? Every one of them! I thank the Lord for what He is doing in your life and pray for the courage to answer “the nudge” next time.

• AlyndaLong August 5, 2018 at 8:43 pm Reply

Lori, you are such a wonderful encourager! Thank you so much! I ignored His nudges for a really long time and always regretted it. I find the more obedient I am to His calls, the bolder I get. He wants to use us where we are with what we have. Blessings to you, my friend! I’m so thankful for you!

• Nancy E. Head August 6, 2018 at 8:52 am Reply

I remember a nudge I got to pray for someone who’d been in line with me at Panera. I was alone there and in another state–so I figured I had nothing to lose. The woman I prayed for was so blessed that she blessed me. Gentle nudges we should not ignore. God bless!

• AlyndaLong August 6, 2018 at 9:06 am Reply

Nancy, there is a boldness that comes from anonymity, isn’t there? I’m so glad you prayed for her. What a gift to be obedient to our heavenly father! Blessings to you!

• Jennifer King August 6, 2018 at 2:43 pm Reply

I love your testimony here, and the call to action. I am very much an introvert, so this word is just that much more of a challenge for me! I pray the Spirit helps me to step out of my comfort zone so I can also be obedient to those nudges (or pushes!)

• AlyndaLong August 6, 2018 at 3:31 pm Reply

Jennifer,

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! Yes, I find when I don’t listen to His nudges, He PUSHES! lol Blessings to you!

• Melissa Henderson August 6, 2018 at 3:36 pm Reply

Listening for God’s nudges is very important. There are times when I am not sure if the “nudge” was from God or something I want to do. But, if I pray and ask for His guidance and wisdom about the situation, the answer comes. 🙂

• Stephen De La Vega August 6, 2018 at 4:06 pm Reply

This is amazing. You are brave to follow the Spirit’s lead. Sometimes I say no and keep walking. But a couple times at the gym in recent months I knew I was supposed to say something to a couple guys and both times to my surprise, I discovered they are church goers. I think God just wanted us to encourage each other and speak openly about Him in a public place. Sometimes it’s just the simple things…

• Karen Friday August 7, 2018 at 9:55 am Reply

Wonderful post, Alynda. Love your story of James. I pray often to have these kind of divine-appointments as I go about my daily routine. So beautiful and powerful that you prayed for James. Now, I’m praying for him too.

• Dawn Ward August 16, 2018 at 9:56 pm Reply

Oh, Alynda. This is so beautiful. How has the Lord nudged me? He has told me to be more vulnerable and open about my pain. He has instructed me to ask for prayer more. I can no longer tell someone I will pray for them. I have to pray with them. I am blessed and honored to do so, but I realize he is teaching me to stay engaged and commit their situation to prayer. Thank you for this beautiful message.

• AlyndaLong August 18, 2018 at 3:39 pm Reply

What a blessing to pray with others. Don’t you find it brings you closer to them AND the Lord? So thankful for His nudges!